What is lymphatic drainage massage?
- Lymphatic Drainage is a massage technique that combines timing, pressure and direction to stimulate lymphatic circulation and unleash the body’s natural ability to rejuvenate and resist stress.
- It employs mild mechanical stretching of connective tissue to facilitate decongestion of the lymphatic system.
- Improved flow of regenerative fluid promotes the clearance of toxins and faster healing of damaged tissues.
Physicians became interested in the lymphatic system in the nineteenth century and discovered how important lymphatic circulation is to overall health. Lymphatic Drainage as we know it today was pioneered by Danish massage practitioner Emil Vodder in the 1930’s.
How does it work?
In basic terms it increases lymphatic flow. Harmful substances are removed from the tissues and neutralized in the lymph nodes, and the production of lymphocytes is stimulated, enhancing immune function. Lymphatic Drainage also stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system via the relaxation effect, reducing pain by sedating the sensory nerve endings and allowing tight muscles to relax.
What is it beneficial for?
- any type of swelling
- sports injuries like sprains and knee injuries
- post-surgical therapy – mastectomies, arthroscopy, pre and post aesthetic surgery
- soft tissue injuries and bruising
- inflammatory processes like tennis/golfers elbow and carpal tunnel syndrome
- arthritis, colitis, fibromyalgia and endometriosis
- headaches, migraines and strokes
- sinusitis, hay fever, bronchitis
- dentistry – wisdom tooth removal
- skin conditions like eczema, acne, psoriasis, scarring
- edema during pregnancy
60 min lymphatic drainage $105
90 min lymphatic drainage $145
Prices do not include GST
This treatment can be provided by our trained Edmonton massage therapists: