Modern life is replete with sources of stress – everything from jobs with unrealistic expectations, to the demands of a busy family, to the overabundance of technology and stimulation. So much is happening and the pace is so fast, sometimes it feels like there’s too little of us to go around. More people are suffering from stress-related conditions than ever before – conditions that impact physical as well as mental and psychological health.
With the distractions and constraints that the constant pressure in our lives creates, it can be hard to remember what simply being alive and fully present in our bodies is supposed to feel like, or to make space for re-grounding ourselves.
But life balance is essential to maintaining ongoing health and wellness, and while we cannot control many of the pressures that bombard us in our daily lives, we can control the steps we choose to take to counteract their negative effects.
One of the best and simplest ways to manage stress and become more present with the inner self is relaxation massage.
The benefits of relaxation massage therapy:
- Relaxation massage lowers stress levels by reducing the amount of the stress hormone cortisol in the body, removing tension, creating a feeling of ease and mental clarity, and uplifting the mood.
- Relaxation massage reduces muscular tension. The incorporation of deep diaphragmatic breathing during the session enhances this result.
- The relaxing tempo and longer strokes of relaxation massage promote increased cardiac return and lymphatic flow, bringing freshly oxygenated blood to all the muscles and fascia of the body. Improved circulation promotes tissue healing and overall health.
- When the body relaxes, troublesome areas become more apparent and easier for the therapist to access and address. The therapist can use deeper pressure to work on the problem areas in the course of creating full-body relaxation.
- Touch is therapeutic. Many of us have a shortage of physical contact in our lives. Massage addresses the primal animal need for touch and creates a profound sense of well-being.
The state of relaxation and enhanced self-awareness that is achieved after a session has far-reaching benefits that have a positive impact on all areas of your health and your life. It’s important to regularly re-connect with yourself through massage.
If you feel that work or life is becoming too demanding on your body, or if you feel you need a space to be calm and relax and clear your mind, consider the benefits of a full-body relaxation massage. It’s an important part of taking good care of yourself.
Emily Kaminsky, RMT