What is Bowen therapy ?
In today’s fast-paced world, the autonomic nervous system – fight, flee or freeze – is chronically overstimulated. When a physical trauma occurs, the already-stressed system is catapulted into an even more extreme emergency state. Without remediation, the body will remain locked in a heightened protective mode long after the initial trauma, and healing will be delayed.
Bowen Therapy, developed by Tom Bowen in Australia, is a gentle, non-invasive neuromuscular release technique that signals the body to let go and begin healing.
How is it performed?
Bowen work is performed on the undressed body or through thin clothing.
The session begins with the lower body then proceeds to the upper body and neck, rebalancing the body as a whole. Smooth cross-fiber rolling moves over the targeted muscle, trigger a release response in the area. Unlike conventional massage, direct muscle manipulation is minimal. Each movement in the series is followed by a pause of one to three minutes to allow the body to respond by resetting the targeted area to a pre-stress, pre-injury, and pre-trauma state.
What can you feel?
Sensation ranges from a light twitch or tingle up to a letting go of a whole area. The client will experience a release of tension and an overall relaxation and ease in being upright after the treatment.
Conditions that benefit from Bowen work:
- back pain and sciatica
- scoliosis or thoracic pain
- digestive and bowel problems
- earache and TMJ problems
- migraines and headaches
- fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and endometriosis
- hip, ankle and knee problems
- menstrual and hormonal irregularities
- neck and shoulder pain including frozen shoulder
- groin pain, pelvic tilt and uneven leg length
- respiratory, chest and diaphragmatic problems
- carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis and golfers elbow
- sports and other traumatic injuries
- lymphatic problems
- incontinence, kidney and bladder problems
There are no contraindications for this therapy.
60 min bowen therapy $90
90 min bowen therapy $127
This treatment can be provided by: