Do you have the feeling that there’s something wrong with you, but you just can’t figure out what it is? Are you wondering why you’re so low on energy, irritable and unable to focus? Have you been struggling with digestive issues forever? Do you get sick easily? Do you suffer from yeast and bladder infections regularly? Do you think having headaches, PMS and other chronic pain is normal??
You might have an unwanted guest: candida albicans – a parasitic yeast like fungus. Actually, it is completely normal to have it living in our digestive tract in symbiosis with our friendly bacteria. It has been around for thousands of years. However, only in modern times it has been able to throw off our microflora’s balance and take over our body. How was that possible? Antibiotics and other medication, birth control pills, pesticides, herbicides and other toxins in our food, chlorinated tap water and a diet high in sugars and acid forming foods created an environment where opportunistic bugs like candida proliferate. I strongly believe it’s not about the bug, but about the environment.
The good news: it is possible to reverse an overgrowth of candida with a thorough cleanse. We have to create an environment that serves our friendly bacteria (our allies) and not opportunistic yeasts, fungus and parasites.
The necessary steps are:
- Starving the yeast – not feeding it any of its food like for example sugars, breads, dairy and alcohol.
- Supporting the detox of yeast die-off by adding liver cleansing foods like dandelion, burdock and artichoke as well as by using clays.
- Restoring digestive function by consuming raw fermented foods and other digestive tonics. In addition you should apply principles of balance such as proper food combining and the right portion size.
- Creating alkaline, mineral-rich blood by consuming 80% alkaline-forming foods and only 20% acid-forming foods.
- Rebuilding immune function by pampering our good bacteria and by consuming foods that support our immune system and repel the yeast.
Depending on the individual symptoms, this cleanse typically takes 2 – 3 months, or more in serious cases. To tell you the truth: it is quite tough. However, already after a week or two you will probably feel significantly better, with more clarity and energy and might notice that your taste buds have adjusted to the new way of eating. There is a wide selection of foods that you can enjoy during the cleanse such as baked chicken with lemon-garlic asparagus and a colorful salad; amaranth onion pie with sauerkraut; or a chocolate avocado pudding with stevia.
After having completed the cleanse it is important to keep on incorporating these principles regularly into our day to day to maintain balance. And if you feel doing the whole cleanse is too much for you at this point, you will still highly benefit from following one or the other aspect of it. Let me assist you with these crucial steps towards reclaiming your body. We’re meant to thrive, not just to survive!